Friday, November 8, 2013

First Projects

Most people's dream house doesn't include a large amount of trash haul off and demolition work in order to move in.  We aren't most people.
I feel like I have an ace in my pocket with Dusty.  Not only can he do anything he owns every tool known to man, including tractors.  He claims they are for work (they are) but I know he also looks forward to the days he gets to just work around the house while sitting in the tractor.  The first week here was a dream come true for him, so much brush to clear, so many weeds to scrape, so much gravel to spread.  The boys always get excited to see him at work so when the work was happening in our own backyard it was like hitting the jackpot!  Once the space was cleared we went to work on goat-head abatement and followed up with grass seed, hopefully by next spring we will have a patch of grass to call a backyard.




Our first "big" inside project was getting the boy's bedroom built.  The first day of school fell Monday after our moving weekend and it was really important to me to make this feel as much like home before the boys started at a new school.


This bedroom is currently being shared by our oldest two boys, Grayson and Radlee, and is in the addition, next to the kitchen.  It is not a big room by any means but it fits both of their beds easily and the closet is more than big enough for their clothes, I put a dresser in the wide hallway outside their room for their folded clothes which also acts as a "landing pad" when we come in the back door for bags, groceries, mail ect.  It is also my folding table on laundry day.



My favorite thing about this room is the 3 windows, it is so bright and has a great view out the back window into the fields behind the house.  The vaulted ceiling makes it feel like a really large room.  It obviously needs work and has had minimal decorating done but the boys are happy here and even though they won't admit it I think they really enjoy sharing a room.



There is space for a built in desk next to the closet and I am excited to make this a really special space in the room.  This room will eventually be just Grayson's and Radlee's will move next door where the kitchen is now.


The wall color is "chinchilla" by Martha Stewart at Home Depot in eggshell finish.  Typically I am a paint snob and prefer to only buy professional grade paint from a paint store, however we bought Glidden brand from Home Depot for this project and were very satisfied with the coverage and quality.  The color is a little more blue than I like my gray's but it has grown on me and I love how it changes tones throughout the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment