Friday, February 7, 2014

Moving Day

Moving day was finally upon us.  It was a strange feeling to be so excited to be moving into a place that was still far from a "house".  As Summer in construction typically goes we were slammed, Dusty was working 10 hour days and turning around and pulling another 3-4 hours at the house in the evenings.  He was exhausted and quite frankly, out of time to move our furniture.  I had carted most everything in boxes or the furniture that I could lift and fit into the van over the course of the month.  However, we have quite a few large pieces of furniture, in fact, Dusty teases me that I buy furniture based on weight "What is the heaviest piece of furniture you have in the store??  I'll Take IT!!"  So I called in the big guns, I found a local moving company (208 Moving) with a 4 hour opening on Friday, a day sooner than we had planned on moving but I quickly put our name in.  Dusty had a big concrete pour that day so I would be coordinating the move alone.  I had no idea what I was going to get when the movers showed up, the price they quoted was so affordable, I was nervous that it would be 2 guys and a trailer or a small u-haul, but they were available and any help was so appreciated.  I worked all morning to  have as much of the furniture moved to the garage as possible and un-assembled if needed. When the truck turned the corner I thought, "that can't be for us??"  The truck was enormous.  Suddenly "just the heavy furniture" turned into "everything that was left in the house"  It was such a relief to have everything moved in one afternoon.  They were fast, professional and careful with our things which I was so grateful for.

By the time we got to the new house and halfway unloaded Dusty pulled in from work, he walked into the great room and the look on his face was total astonishment and relief, the fact that he was not going to have to spend the weekend moving was worth every single penny we paid the movers. 

With everything still under construction at the new house I just had the movers unload everything directly into the great room.  It was a mess.  Warning: these pictures are scary, even worse, they were taken after we had organized a little.

Why yes, that is a refrigerator next to my couch.  The ultimate in convenience.
power tools + sheetrock + mattresses + other assorted furniture = disaster
As of moving day our bedroom and Cooper's bedroom were not sheet rocked so we knew we would be slumber partying for a bit.  The first night the big boys each slept on a couch, and Cooper and Dusty and I slept on our mattresses on the floor, it was such a fun first night, all of us in about 100 square feet of space, none of us slept well but isn't that what slumber parties are all about?

Our luxurious and private (temporary) bedroom ... Complete with kiddo blankets piled on top.
Over the course of our first weekend in the house I was taken back by the sense of "home" I felt.  Even though it was a disaster of construction materials, dust and tools; furniture and boxes spread every which way and a building that most would not dare call a house.  I was more at home and settled than I had been in 6 years, I felt rooted and connected to the house and could only look forward to making it our home.


No comments:

Post a Comment